Ministry of Heath, Chief Administrative Secretary Dr. Rashid Aman in a press briefing on Sunday said eight of the new cases are from Nairobi and four from Mombasa.
“All the 12 are Kenyans but three have a recent travel to Somalia,” said Dr. Aman.
In Nairobi, the cases are distributed as follows: Kibra (2), Karen (1), Dandora (1), Eastleigh (1), Kasarani (1), South B (1) and Umoja (1).
Mombasa’s four cases were from Mvita Kuze (1), Mishomoroni (1), Mvita-Bondeni (1) and Barsheba (1).
All the 12 patients are aged between 14-60 years.
The Health CAS said the number of recoveries had risen to 106 after eight more patients were discharged while the number of deaths stand at 14.
In the meantime, the National Emergency Response Committee on Coronavirus, NERC has directed that testing of truck drivers to start immediately at all border crossing points.
The Committee has further resolved that County Governments increase training of their health care workers by utilizing the already trained personnel as trainers.
The Ministry of Health in collaboration with the County Governments will also embark on identifying Covid 19 isolation facilities at County Level 4 to 6 facilities.
Schools likely to reopen in June, exams still on – CS Magoha
Education Cabinet Secretary Dr. George Magoha on Sunday announced that the government had resolved to extend the nationwide school closure by one more month.
CS Magoha, addressing the press at Afya House during the daily Covid-19 briefings, hence intimated that the schools, which were initially set to reopen on May 4, could now resume operations in June.
The CS however added that the national examinations are however still on, saying any other decisions on the contrary will depend on the government’s ability to control the spread of the novel coronavirus.
He further stated that when the Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE) and Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) examinations are finally administered, learners will have been given enough time to make up for the time lost during the coronavirus outbreak period.
“For the past four weeks or so, the children have been on normal vocation; an activity that will end on May 4. In the interest of the safety and lives of our children, the government has decided to extend school closure for one month effective from the date of opening,” he said.
“During the intervening period, there will be many interventions that will depend on how the government is able to control this disease. I want to emphasize that whenever the examination is going to be administered, every Kenyan child will have been given the opportunity to cover whatever time that is lost before the said examination is administered.”
He added: “At this point, the government has not decided to postpone both the KCPE and KCSE. Let our children enjoy the last week on holiday, and then start the one month that has been added to them.”
Source: Citizen TV